Tata Crucible Corporate Edition 2015 – Chennai – Regional Round Questions
- WINNER: TCS- Jayakanthan and Himadri
- RUNNER UP: Matrimony.com- Kiran and Aditya
Regional Round Questions:
Rounds 1 & 2:
1) Identify. (Clue: Famous from Canterbury [Buzzed])
Ans. Baedeker Travel Guides (Karl Baedeker)
2) What was done to Kerosene distributed through PDS in the 1980s to counter pilferage?
Ans. Tinge of blue was added.
4) A six-foot high dollar sign was erected on this novelist-philosopher’s coffin when she died in 1982. Who?
Ans. Ayn Rand
5) NY central in 20th Century (1902-1967) advertised that it used a famous item to direct people into the train. What was it ?
Ans. Red Carpet
6) The copyright was seized by the US Govt under the Trading with the Enemy Act. Later in 1979, Houghton Mifflin, the US publisher of the book, bought the rights from the government and more than 15,000 copies are sold a year. The manga form is produced by East Press, as part of its Manga de Dokuha (Read it via manga) series. What?
Ans. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler
7) This Tata company is predominantly in the business of manufacturing Axles & Transmissions for Commercial Vehicles. In the year 2000, the erstwhile Axle & Transmissions manufactuging divisions of Tata Motors, were spun off as 100% subsidiaries HVAL & HVTL respectively. HVTL was amalgamated with HVAL and HVAL was then renamed to its current name in FY 2011-12?
Ans. Tata Drivelines
9) In keeping with the company’s strategy to garner a greater percentage of sales from virtual shopping, Kishore Biyani’s Future Group acquried online and telephone shopping portal ______ Bazaar in 2010. Future Ecommerce acquired ________ Bazaar in an all-stock transaction. _____ Bazaar operates the web portal _______.in and pegs itself as ‘India’s phone bazaar’. FIB with the name that literally means ‘Four Creeks of channels’?
10) Which tool is used to collect a product spread over India has been estimated to have a $3.5 Billion production? The plant is shallow and has a capsule.
Ans. Nushtar – Tool Used to Cut & Collect Opium
11) Tata Motor’s new engine is India’s first 1.2 liter MPFi turbocharged petrol engine to power new Tata Motors cars – Zest and Bolt. Name it?
12) Identify the scenario.
Ans. Goldilocks Economy – Not Too Hot or Cold Economy
13) He was well known for his sleek signature line of Fila ‘BJ’ sportswear. Although he wore Fila throughtout the world (except in his native country where he was contracted to Jockey) he used different rackets and shoes for different parts of the world. His label has since become second only to Clavin Klein in his home country. World Brand Management has exclusive rights to the brand whose largest selling prodcut is underclothes. Who is this famous person after whom the eponymous brand is named?
Ans. Bjorn Borg
14) The first sketches of the WWF logo were by a British enviromentalist and artist, Gerald Watterson. Based on these, Sir Peter Scott, one of the founders, drew the first logo. He said at the time that ‘We wanted and animal that is beautiful, endangered, and loved by many people in the world for its appealing qualities. There was one more significant yet practiacal reason as to why they chose a ‘Panda’. What was the reason?
Ans. It was black and white and it was ideal to save money on printing.
9) This Tata company in partnership with Cloudera, the leader in enterprise analytic data management powered by Apache Hadoop, announced the certification of Big Data Solutions on Cloudera Enterprise through the Cloudera Certified Technology Program (CCTP). Which company?
11) The earliest use of this term indicating a phrase of transition from hand production methods seems to be in a letter of July 6 1799 by French envoy Louis-Guillaume Otto. Freidrich Engels, the social scientist and Karl Marx’s companion also spoke about this in 1844 in his book The Condition of the Working Class in England. Credit for popularising the term may be given to Arnold Tonybee, whose lectures given in 1881 gave a detailed account of it. What term?
Ans. Industrial Revolution
12) This Tata company says it has become the first company to manufacture a submerged acr welded longitudianal (SAWL) line pipe installed through reeling method in the North Sea?
Ans. Tata Steel
1) It is an absorption refrigerator which has no moving parts and requires only a heat souce to operate. It was jointly invented in 1926 by X and his former student Leo Szilard and patented in the US on November 11, 1930. The refrigerator was not immediately put into commercial production, the most promising of their patents being quickly bought up by the Swedist company Electrolux?
Ans. Albert Einstein
2)Who is this man at the Indianopolis Museum?
Ans. Louis Chevrolet Memorial in Indianapolis Speedway
4) Which company’s mascot was once known as the ‘The Road Drunkard’?
Ans. Michelin Man
5) Robert Bourke ‘1st Baron _________’ is associated with what in Chennai?
Ans. Vivanta by Taj – Connemara named after him.
Questions contributed by Jitendra Gaglani & Samyuktha Raman!