Tata Crucible Corporate Edition 2014 – Mumbai – Regional Round Questions
- WINNER- Tata Industries – Nikhil Sonde and Sidharth Srinivasan
- RUNNER UP- JP Morgan – Dhananjay Shettigar and Geo Thomas
Regional Round Questions:
1. It is the first heritage building to get a Gold rating from the Indian Green Building Council. The plot for the building was bought in South Mumbai in 1904. The building was completed in 1924. The Associated Building Company owns the building and is responsible for maintaining it. Which heritage building?
Ans. Bombay House
Ans. Ideal description of office cubicle by Scott Adams
3. True Value: Maruti : :First Choice : ?
4. Name the city.
[Harsh Mariwala : Marico is an Indian consumer goods company providing consumer products and services in the areas of Health and Beauty based out of Mumbai ((previous name Bombay.
Amrutanjan Healthcare Limited is an Indian pharmaceutical company established by Kasinadhuni Nageswara Rao in Mumbai (previous name Bombay) in 1893.
Bombay Sapphire is a brand of gin owned by Bacardi.]
5. According to National Geographic, it has become a junkyard.A single cleanup in spring 2011 removed over 8 tons of trash.People now run the risk of losing a deposit of $4000 if they do not clean up their trash. The entity in question is also big business with people spending $40,000-$50,000 on an average. Name the entity.
Ans. Mount Everest
6. Some people say that the word is derogatory and is also a means to exploit poor. What is the form of informal employment in which a homeless person is paid to display advertising?
7. This term was often used during the cold war era because of its political, social, and economic relevance. This term itself was first introduced in the late 1940s by the United Nations. Today, the term is slightly outdated and has no official definations; however, it is generally thought of as the capitalist, industrial, wealthy, developed countries that aligned with the United States after World War II. What term (two words answer)?
Ans. First World
8. Who is this named after : distilled eight times for the essence of vodka purity ?
Ans. Mendeleev (of periodic table)
9. Known as the Hoover Index, this measure of income inequality is commonly named after an ‘outlaw’. Which index?
Ans. Robinhood Index
10. Connect for an entity.
Ans. Planning Commission of India
[ India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, a socialist who admired Joseph Stalin’s drive to industrialize the Soviet Union, set up and chaired the Planning Commission to map out a development path for India’s agrarian economy.
P.C. Mahalanobis,Indian statistician who was instrumental in formulating India’s strategy for industrialization in the Second Five-Year Plan (1956–61).
The Gadgil formula is named after Dhananjay Ramchandra Gadgil, a social scientist and the first critic of Indian planning. ]
11. The brand’s first product was launched in 1958 in Spain by Javier de Barberá Sanromä Cruz. Today it is common in cars.Name the brand.
Ans. Ambi Pur
12. Which corporation? What first in the world?
Ans. First industrial Robot by GM
13. Through its commercial titled ‘Everyone can with _________’, the camera brand attempts to dismantle, and then reconfigure, consumer perception of the category. The message is: the segment is not just for professional; it is for everyone.
14. Over the past 200 years,It has been cancelled 24 times due to cholera epidemics and war. In 1811, an agricultural show was added to promote agriculture. The horse race which started in 1812 persisted until 1960; the agricultural show still exists and is held every four years. What is that which the locals simply call wiesn after the colloquial name of the fairgrounds , Theresienwiese ?
Ans. October Fest
[Cardiac Monitor developed by NASA
NASA SPINOFF technologies are commercial products and services which have been developed with the help of NASA, through research and development contracts (such as SBIR or STTR awards), licensing of NASA patents, use of NASA facilities, technical assistance from NASA personnel, or data from NASA research.
Ray-Ban, Survivors and Diamond Hard are registered trademarks of Bausch & Lomb, Inc.
Ray-Ban Survivors Collection sunglasses feature a coating that offers 10 times the scratch-resistance of conventional glass lenses.]
16.Confession of an Advertising Man is a 1963 book by David Ogilvy. In the final section he posed a question and makes one think as to why a genius in advertising and an advocate of this medium even wants to raise such a thought. What is the question , he raised?
Ans: If all humans can think , “Should Advertising Be Abolished?”
18.This Suzuki bike’s name means “Peregrine Falcon” in Japanese.
Ans. Nobel Prize
[Jean Henri Dunant was the founder of the Red Cross, and the first recipient of Nobel Peace Prize.
The Grameen Bank is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning microfinance organization and community development bank founded in Bangladesh.
Aga cooker was invented in 1922 by the Nobel Prize-winning Swedish physicist Gustaf Dalén
Guglielmo Marconi won the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun “in recognition of their contributions to the development of wireless telegraphy”]
20. Which company is the sponsor of this program?
21.The brand once used the slogan”The original. If your grandfather didn’t worn it, you wouldn’t exist”
Ans. Old Spice
22. A British retailer Francis Place was one of the first to experiment with this new retailing method at his tailoring establishment in Charing Cross. He wanted to take advantage of the increasing levels of conspicuous consumption and thought of a novel way to attract customers. What did he start?
Ans. Display Window
[The photograph of Steve Jurvetson
He was a venture capitalist investor in Hotmail.
The term ‘viral marketing’ was invented by Tim Draper and Steve Jurvetson of VC Draper Fisher Jurvetson, early investors in Hotmail. It was their idea to include the ‘Get your FREE Web-based email…’ message and URL the bottom of every Hotmail sent. Believe it or not, the founders were reluctant at first – they thought it was too much like spam. But, of course, they eventually agreed and the rest is history. For the record, Hotmail had one million registered users in less than six months from launch. Five years after launch they had 65 million. Draper and Jurvetson chose the term ‘viral’ because they felt it best described this infectious spread of the Hotmail word.]
Questions contributed by Ms Meenakshi Verma of BHEL Bhopal.