Tata Crucible Corporate Edition 2013 – Tata Track National Finals Questions
TCS CHENNAI – Sreekanth And Jayakanthan
- RUNNER UP:
TCS MUMBAI – Pravin Varma and Priyamvad Pattanayak
1. In 1687, a French envoy to Thailand, then known as Siam, wrote about mines of Ruby and ________. He wrote back saying “there are mines abound of Rubies and _________ and these are of abundant value and people are are ignorant of what they are”. Many years later, the Kanchanaburi mines became one of the world’s leading sources for this. What am I describing?
First usage of the word Phailin meaning “sapphire” in Thai.
2. Remarked by many as one of the greatest real estate deals in the world, this was purchased for $ 15 million from France. [Buzzer Pressed]
The Louisiana Purchase.
3. This Economics professor from Yale in one of his theoretical papers stated “the concept is interested and well formed, however [Buzzer Pressed]
The concept note on FedEx.
4. This is a magazine which focuses on research that would make people laugh and think [Buzzer Pressed]
The Annals of Improbable Research which gives out the Ig Nobel Prize.
5. This wares and handicrafts of this community which were originally made between 1843 to 1947 was from the north-western most province of British India. Since the wares of the this community came from that region, the migrants and their work were named after this place. How do we know this from the history of India?
Because the wares they sold and traded in originally were the handicrafts of Sind (‘Sind works’), these migrants were known as ‘Sindworkis’ and the type of long-distance translocal commerce they practised as ‘Sindwork’.
6. This company was founded by Samuel in 1844 as an engineering concern [Buzzer Pressed]
Pearson Publishing Company
7. He needed money to get prototypes created. He borrowed equipment from his father’s silk factory. He rigged machines to produce nitrous oxide or laughing gas. He went on to sells samples of the gas and assorted patented machines. To add an aura to his credibility, this Hartford teenage became the celebrated doctor of New York, London and Calcutta. Who?
8. Its a new game that is being used by corporates and specially in manufacturing units to train shop floor workers. The game is called Floduku. What is the game all about?
Analytical puzzles to promote logical sequential thinking among shop floor workers.
1. This is one of the worst cases of hyperinflation found in the world. It had to be changed to another currency. Which country’s currency?
Hungarian pengő later changed to forint.
2. Which family from the world of sport owns this company?
The Djokovic family.
3. This is a unique graveyard [Buzzer Pressed]
Ben & Jerry’s graveyard for retired flavours.
4. This is the watch worn by Gagarin when we went to space. The watch was sold in a unique manner when it was launched. How did they sell the Gagarin watch?
The watch was worn to space. Hence the only way you can buy this watch is on in-flight sales, no where on ground, but only on air.
5. This gentleman is Bircher-Brenner. He pioneered something in the world of nutrition. What?
He is best known for the invention of the muesli cereal.
6. What is the term that comes out of this?
7. Whose identify is this from the world of dictionaries?
8. What is special about this G.I product?
These are metallic mirrors from Aranmula.
1. In the 1940’s, National Radio and Engineering Company was floated to manufacture radio transmitters and receivers. Instead they had to manufacture something else which became parachute fasteners and buckles. Why?
The British wanted these to be made for their soldiers during the World War.
2. It was launched in 1976 as Jaffe and marketed with the help of Voltas. How does India know this?
3. Built in 1945 by Walter George, this Intach listed heritage building is now a part of the Taj Hotels. Which property from Delhi are we describing?
4. In 1974, J.R.D was conferred an honorary post given for the first time in India to a businessman. What post was this?
Air Vice Marshall
1. Moxy Hotels will open their outlet in 2014. It is a partnership between Marriott and which famous chain in this world?
2. Which country’s top level domain is .su?
3. Often used in military jargon, what does ‘MRE’ stand for?
4. Which product in this world, for the simple reason that more number of people should have access to it, pioneered the concept of hire purchase.
Singer sewing machines
Overall answer is Bajaj.
Overall answer is Goodyear Tyres.
Overall answer is Puma.
Overall answer is Vazir Sultan Tobacco.
Clue 1: Born in 1963, I am a CA and former employee of IDBI.
Clue 2: I was part of a core 5 member team selected by the government in the early nineties to create a screen-based pan India stock exchange.
Clue 3: I am the first woman to head NSE.
Clue 1: I am an alumnus of IIT, IIM and MIT. [Buzzer Pressed]
Dr. Raghuram Rajan
Clue 1: My brother showed me early direction and my career saw me rise from the rank of a junior commissioned officer to director.
Clue 2: Adidas powered my legendary performances.
Clue 3: I sold the movie rights for my life story for a mere one Rupee with a cause that a share of the profits would be given to my charitable trust.